One of the dancers, Zoë Smith, also made baklava, and agreed to share the recipe with Crustcrumbs. Since this recipe wasn’t tested by John, the measurements aren’t in weights.
Zoë’s Baklava Recipe
1 Box Phyllo sheets
1/2 Cup Melted Butter
1 Cup Walnuts
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Whole Cloves
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a 12″ x 8″ pan with melted butter, then layer 16-20 sheets of phyllo into the pan, brushing each one with butter.
- In a bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients, then spread evenly in the pan.
- Layer 12 more phyllo sheets on top of the filling, brushing each with butter.
- Use a cutting wheel to cut baklava into the desired size and shape (Zoë used 2″ squares).
- Stick one clove into each piece.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- When finished, bring all syrup ingredients to a boil, and pour over warm baklava. It should just reach the top layer.
- Cool and serve.
Thanks again to the Sisters of Salome for inviting us to their event! You should check out their Facebook page here.